Skip to Content Disable Custom Form Styling to Improve Accessibility
Header Image


Some of your questions may be answered below. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, please contact the Housing and Residence Life Office. 


Q: How soon should I apply for housing?

A: Apply early! You should apply as soon as you receive your housing application. You may also apply online.

Assignments are made based on the date the housing application is received. Applying early increases your chance of having your assignment requests met.


Q: May I have a room by myself?

A: Maybe. There is a limited number of single rooms available in Main Hall. Residential College features private bedrooms with a shared living room and kitchen. All other rooms are double occupancy. If space becomes available in your double-occupancy room, you may request it as private. Private rooms are granted on a space-available basis and are not guaranteed until 5 p.m. the first day of classes. All students requesting a private room must sign the “Private Room Form,” available in the Housing office. The form must be submitted each semester.


Q: Can I personalize my room?

A: Yes! You may have just about anything in your room except a microwave (unless it is part of a UM Micro Fridge unit), a pet (unless it’s fish), or any type of open-coil heating device (space heater, hot plate, etc.). Borders (painted or wallpaper) are prohibited.


Q: When will I get information on my room and roommate?

A: Housing and roommate information will be sent to you in mid to late May. The information will include your hall, room number and contact information for your roommate.


Q: What if I don’t get along with my roommate or don’t like the hall to which I’ve been assigned?

A: You may change rooms during Room Change Days. They begin the third day of classes and last for about three weeks. We ask that you not request a room change until that time. Housing & Residence Life wants you to be happy with your living arrangement and encourages you to take an active part in pursuing a comfortable and fulfilling on-campus life!


Q: What furnishings will be in my room?

A: Each room is furnished with a bed, mattress, desk and chair for each resident in the room. Each room also has blinds and closets or wardrobes.


Q: What things must I leave at home?

A: Air conditioners, candles, incense, electric blankets, electric fry pan, electric grills, electric heaters, firearms/weapons, fireworks, halogen lamps, hot plates, sun lamp and waterbeds. (The Housing Handbook includes a complete list of prohibited items.)


Q: When are the residence halls closed?

A: All residence halls except Peck, Brooke and Lund Halls are closed during school break periods (Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring breaks), and residents are not allowed to stay in their rooms while the halls are closed. You do not have to move your belongings out of your room for Thanksgiving, Winter or Spring Break, but you may not leave personal belongings in your room over Summer Break.


Q: What do I do if I should have a disability-related or dietary request for living in the residence halls?

A: Students with documented long-term or permanent disability conditions may need to make disability-related housing or dietary requests. Please see Disability Related and Dietary Requests to download the request form, additional requirements and deadlines. Students should complete the housing application and pay the housing deposit while sending the necessary information to DSS. Requests for accommodations related to housing and dietary needs may be reviewed by DSS, and when necessary, by appropriate staff from Housing & Residence Life, Health Services and/or Counseling Services.

Please send any documentation for housing or disability-related requests to DSS.

Disability Support Services

University of Montevallo, Station 6250

Montevallo, AL 35115

Phone: (205) 665-6250

Fax: (205) 665-6255


script type="text/javascript">var ssaUrl = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://' : 'http://') + '';new Image().src = ssaUrl;