The Department of Art awards first year tuition assistance in the form of merit based scholarships that require a portfolio review. The number of scholarships awarded by the Department and the amount of the awards are determined yearly. The Dean's Fine Art Scholarship, College of Fine Arts Gala Scholarship, Jefferson Country Alumni Association scholarship, Joan Gregory Art Scholarship, and the Madge Taylor Sims Scholarship are competitive, portfolio – based scholarships for entering freshman or transfer students.These scholarships are not renewable. Upper-level students may apply for separate merit based scholarships.
Freshmen and Transfers
• Jefferson County Alumni Association Scholarship
• Dean's Fine Art Scholarship
• Joan Gregory Art Scholarship
• Madge Taylor Sims Scholarship
• College of Fine Arts Gala Scholarship
• Be admitted to the University of Montevallo as an incoming
freshman or transfer student • Complete the scholarship application and include it with your portfolio
• Submit a portfolio of your art on or before April 12, 2013
The portfolio should be submitted in digital form on a CD. Images should be good quality and saved in the jpeg format, text should be saved as a Word document, or images and text can be combined into a PowerPoint presentation. The portfolio should contain:
• 10 to 15 images of your original art, completed in class or independently
• At least 4 of your pieces must be drawing from life (not from photos, books, etc.) in any drawing media, such as graphite, charcoal, pastel, etc.
• The remaining portfolio pieces may be in any media, such as painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, digital, etc.
• An inventory or your works numbered to correspond to the image files, including: your name, titled of work, medium, size and date (please identify the 4 drawings from life.)
Portfolio Evaluation Criteria
The Art Faculty evaluates each portfolio for:
• Mastery of fundamental skills and concepts in drawing and design
• Creativity and originality
• Knowledge and mastery of the other media presented
• Professionalism in presentation
• Applications with CD must arrive at the Art Office (206 Bloch Hall) at the University of Montevallo on or before April 13, 2013. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Late portfolios will not be accepted
• Notification of awards is by letter, shortly after the deadline
• CDs will not be returned unless a self-addressed, stamped envelop is included with the application
• Portfolio must be picked-up by April 26, 2013
• Click for the Application
Interim Chair and Art History
Department of Art