These academic scholarships are awarded by the English and Foreign Languages department. Contact the ENFL department for an application or additional information.
The Cynthia Acosta Gravlee Scholarship For Juniors
The Cynthia Acosta Gravlee Scholarship is awarded to a student majoring in English and minoring or majoring in a Foreign Language. The scholarship is for use in the student’s junior year and may be renewed for up to one year if the student remains enrolled at the University of Montevallo, is continuing with his or her English and Foreign Language programs and has maintained at least a 3.0 average in both programs. The scholarship is awarded based on scholarship (a minimum 3.0 GPA) and evidence of humanitarian concerns through campus and community service. The recipient will be chosen by selected members of the English and Foreign Language Department faculty.
Requirements and procedures:
1. Applicants should be English majors with a Foreign Language major or minor and have junior status in the year the award is paid.
2. Applicants should have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
3. Eligible students should submit the following by April 4, 2014 to Professor Eric Vaccarella, Scholarship and Awards Committee, care of the Department of English and Foreign Languages:
- A completed application form;
- An unofficial copy of your most recent transcript from the Records Office indicating all completed classes and the classes for which you are currently registered;
- A résumé including descriptions of campus and community service;
- A brief essay of between 200-300 words that explains why you have chosen to major in English and major or minor in Foreign Language.
4. The committee, after consultation with the full Department, will select the winner(s).
5. The award will be announced at the Honors Day ceremony. The scholarship for each student will be paid in two equal sums, dispersed at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. The amount of the award varies with available funding and the number of winners selected. Awards will likely be between $500.00 and $1,000.00 per year.