Available Health Care Benefits
UM offers a comprehensive medical insurance plan through Blue Cross/Blue Shield to all active, full-time employees appointed for an academic year or longer. Spouses and unmarried dependent children up to age 26 may also participate when family coverage is selected by the employee. Benefits-eligible temporary/adjunct employees who are not in continuous renewal status may participate only during the months of their active service. Coverage may begin on the first day of the employee’s first full month of employment and terminates on the last day of the month of their termination. Employees’ share of the premium is $100/single contracts and $236/family contracts. The employer/employee cost split for medical insurance is 73%/27%.
- $35 copay per office visit for primary care physician; $50 copay for specialist
- $300 inpatient hospital deductible and $150 per day copay beginning with the 2nd through 5th day, per admission
- Outpatient hospital benefits ($150 co-pay)
- $500 major medical deductible per calendar year, per person (maximum of 3 deductibles per family)
- Hospital services
- Expanded psychiatric services (inpatient/outpatient)
- Participating chiropractic services
- Preventive care services, including hospital newborn & well child care, routine immunizations, routine pap smears & mammograms, and prostate-specific antigens
Dental insurance is through Blue Cross/Blue Shield and is provided at no cost to all employees, their spouses and dependents enrolled in the medical plan. Enrollment is in conjunction with the application for medical coverage. Employees must enroll in the health plan to be eligible for dental coverage. The maximum benefit for each covered person is $1,000 per calendar year.
Diagnostic & Preventive Services:
- Diagnostic & preventive services are covered at 100% with no deductible.
Basic and Supplemental Services:
- Fillings, simple tooth extractions, oral surgery, capping, emergency treatment, periodontic services, etc., are payable at 80%, subject to the calendar year deductible of $50.00.
- Full or partial dentures, bridges, crowns, etc., are covered at 50%, subject to the calendar year deductible of $50.00.
Prescription drugs are covered under the Point-of-Sale Plan. No benefits are available for prescriptions purchased at a non-participating pharmacy in Alabama.
Generic covered at 100%, no deductible/no co-pay.
Brand name covered at $80%.
UM offers an employee-funded optional coverage vision insurance through VSP. VSP Plan for UM gives employees and their covered family members prepaid eye care.
Copay: $20 per exam and $20 for eyeglass lenses and contact lenses.
This plan provides:
- Annual eye exam
- Eyeglass lenses every 12 months
- Frames every 24 months
- Progressive (no-line bifocal and trifocal) lens covered in full
- $150 contact allowance (in lieu of eyeglasses)
- Polycarbonate lens for children covered in full
COBRA is a federal law that requires most group health plans to give employees and their families the opportunity to continue their health care coverage when there is a “qualifying event.”
Flexible Spending Accounts
UM provides flexible spending accounts for employees to pay eligible health care and dependent day care expenses with pre-tax dollars.