General Graduation Requirements
Responsibility for meeting all graduation requirements rests with the student. In addition to the University’s minimum general requirements listed below, colleges and/or departments may have additional graduation requirements as described in the colleges’ information sections of the catalog. Minimum general requirements for graduation are:
- Credit for at least 130 semester hours, distributed according to the General Education and departmental curriculum requirements specified in the Undergraduate Bulletin.
- Credit for at least 30 semester hours earned at Montevallo after attaining senior classification (90 earned credit hours).
- At least 50 percent of the courses in the major must be completed at the University of Montevallo.
- At least 25 percent of the hours in the degree must be completed at the University of Montevallo.
- Credit for at least 30 semester hours of 300- and/or 400-level study earned at Montevallo.
- No more than 64 semester hours of two-year college credit may be applied toward degree requirements.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 on all courses attempted as well as on all courses attempted in the major and minor fields.
- No more than 45 semester hours of correspondence, Advanced Placement (AP), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE), International Baccalaureate (IB), or military credit may be applied toward a degree.
- Although students with a financial obligation to the University may be permitted to participate in commencement exercises, official transcripts will be withheld until all financial obligations are satisfied. Students must complete the required senior assessments in order to participate in commencement exercises.
- Students must file a notification of intent to graduate in the Registrar’s Office before the beginning of the last semester and preferably one year prior to the date in which the degree is to be conferred. This can be done by filling out a graduation card in the Registrar’s Office.