The University of Montevallo is required by the IRS to furnish all employees with a Form W-2 for each calendar year worked. The form W-2 is used to complete the employees’ annual tax returns. The Form W-2 details the employee’s compensation and tax withholding amounts for the year. In the past, employees have received paper copies of their Form W-2.
The IRS has approved the use of electronic W-2 statements; as a result, the University is pleased to offer online availability of form W-2’s for viewing and printing. UM employees may choose to receive their W-2 statements online through Banner Self Services, instead of paper copies being mailed.
There are multiple benefits to receiving an electronic Form W-2:
- Earlier access to the Form W-2.
- No possibility an employee’s Form W-2 might be lost, stolen, delayed or misplaced by the U.S. mail service, once received.
- Access is available at the same easy-to-use, secure web site at which an employee can access his/her wage and general account information.
- Access can be attained even if the employee is not presently at his/her residence, for example, if participating in a University foreign program.
- The form displays in the same format as a printed copy. An employee can print as many copies as needed and mail with tax returns or keep for personal records.
- Multiple levels of security, including the employee’s ID number and personally chosen PIN number/password, protect all information within Banner Self Services.
- Employees are contributing to university cost containment
Please note that by giving consent, a printed copy will not be mailed. Employees may print the copy that is displayed at any time. Consent can be revoked for future years by unchecking the consent box. IRS regulations require that employees give their consent to receive the W-2 in an electronic format.
This process does not need to be repeated every calendar year.
Please log onto Banner Self Services and give your consent to receive your W-2 electronically. The process only takes a few minutes and will save you time later. An e-mail notification will be sent when current year W-2’s have been processed and are ready for you to view.