University Police Department
and Security Tips
If you live off campus in an
apartment, security is your
responsibility. The Montevallo Police
Department provides routine patrol
around all apartments in the City of
Montevallo and will assist you upon
request. The following guidelines are
- Keep your doors and windows
secured at all times.
- Do not open your door for
- Mark all valuable items with
- Report all criminal incidents to
the Montevallo Police Department,
- Always lock your car when entering
and leaving it.
- Before getting in your car, check
the front and back seats to make
sure no one is hiding there; do this
even if your doors have been locked.
- Have your keys in hand so you
don't have to linger before entering
- Do not offer rides to strangers.
- If you suspect that someone is
following you, drive to the nearest
open public place and sound your
- Do not leave your purse, wallet,
money or valuables in a conspicuous
place. Keep them locked inside a
desk drawer or filing cabinet.
- Carry only the amount of money you
will need for the day. Pay for large
purchases with a check, noting the
number of each check used. Often,
the theft of a single check is not
discovered until a bank statement
- Always lock your door when you
leave the room, even if you'll only
be gone a few minutes. It takes only
about eight seconds for someone to
walk into an open room and remove an
- During semester breaks or other
extended absences, take your
valuables such as jewelry, stereos,
TVs, etc., with you when leaving
your residence. These are items that
are most frequently stolen and
- Avoid going out alone at night.
After dark, you should always be in
a group of two or more people.
- Walk near the curb and avoid
walkways that pass close to
shrubbery, dark doorways, and other
places of concealment.
- Stay in well-lighted areas.
- Avoid parking and walking alone in
parking lots after dark. If it is
necessary to do so, first go by the
University of Montevallo Police
Department and request an escort.