Table of Content
One-Governance and Administration |
| Section Three-Staff Responsibilities | Section Four-Compensation | Section Five-Benefits | Section Six-Safety and Security
| Section Seven-General Information | Appendix-UM Organizational Chart (PDF) | Policies |
Office of Human Resources and
2.01 Access to Personnel Files
Personnel files are the property of the University and access to information they contain is restricted. Generally, only administrative officials and representatives of the University, who have a legitimate, verifiable reason may review information in a file. (Refer to Policy 04:020)
The University makes employment decisions on the basis of relative ability, experience, or other qualifications, without regard to race, gender, age, disability, national origin, religion, color, veteran status, or other protected characteristics, in keeping with applicable federal and state laws and EEO guidelines.
2.03 Employment of Relatives (Nepotism)
(Refer to Policy 04:001)
2.04 Immigration Forms I-9
All new employees, regardless of employment status, are required by Federal law to complete a Form I-9 upon or immediately following employment. This form attests to the individual’s eligibility for employment in the United States and is maintained in Human Resources (Refer to Policy 04:002)
2.05 Inter-Departmental Employment
Special payment for duties performed within the University must be approved by the appropriate department head on a project-by-project basis under the following conditions:
1. The employee has special training or knowledge essential to the project;
2. The performance of these duties is above and beyond commitments of the employee’s normal duties.
In addition, these duties should not interfere with the employee’s regular responsibilities. The work must be done at times other than the employee’s regularly scheduled work hours; if this is not possible, the employee must schedule vacation. Fees for services are considered as income and reported accordingly. Human Resources should be contacted prior to an agreement to ensure that all employment laws are followed.
2.06 Lateral Transfer
Lateral transfers into positions of equal status are permissible upon appropriate approval. Approved lateral transfers within a department or division do not require advertising outside the department or division.
The University may provide time off to eligible University staff to continue their education, to participate in research, grants or fellowships, or due to illness or injury of an employee and/or other personal reasons. (Refer to Policy 04:105) Other aspects of the University’s leave policies, including Family and Medical Leave, are governed by Policy 04:100 and 04:130.
2.08 Outside Employment
Employment with the University shall be the primary obligation for regular, full-time employees. Appropriate outside employment is allowed, however, if it does not interfere with University responsibilities. (Refer to Policy 04:001)
2.09 Recruitment and Hiring of New Staff
Staff recruitment and hiring are coordinated by the Office of Human Resources in concert with the Division Heads and Department Heads/Directors. Detailed employment policies and procedures are available from the Office of Human Resources (Refer to Policy 04:001)
2.10 Re-Employment of Retired Staff
(Refer to Policy 04:001)
2.11 Service Dates
Service date is used in the calculation of benefits. This is the date of initial employment at UM, unless there has been a break in service by termination of employment. When a break occurs, the service date becomes the most recent date of employment. For those who change from part-time to full-time and/or regular to temporary status or vice versa, the following applies:
1. Those staff members who have a regular part-time appointment will retain their service date when going to regular full-time.
2. Those staff members who are regular full-time and go to regular part-time will retain their service date.
3. Those staff members going from temporary to regular status or vice versa will receive a new service date.
2.12 Status of Employment
All staff members are classified at the time of employment as either full-time regular, part-time regular, full-time temporary or part-time temporary employees. The classification of an employee establishes no obligation of continued employment. In addition, to comply with regulations in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), staff are classified as either exempt or non-exempt.
1. Full-time regular staff are employees who work 40 hours per week whether classes are in session or not.
2. Part-time regular staff are employees who work less than 40 hours per week whether classes are in session or not.
3. Full-time temporary staff are employees who work 40 hours per week for a limited time period, normally six months or less.
4. Part-time temporary staff are employees who work less than 40 hours per week for a limited time period, normally six months or less.
5. Non-exempt staff are those employees who are not exempt from the provisions of the FLSA which regulates minimum wage, overtime pay and recordkeeping requirements and which restricts child labor.
6. Exempt staff are employees who are exempt from the provisions of the FLSA and are employed in an executive, administrative, professional, or outside sales capacity, as defined in regulations of the Secretary of Labor.
2.13 Termination/Settlement of Financial Obligations
Papers and/or records, including video and/or audio recordings, in particular those related to student academic performance or assessment as well as those of an advisory or evaluative nature, remain the property of the University and should not be destroyed or removed from the appropriate office.
All staff leaving employment with the University of Montevallo must ensure that before leaving all debts are paid, all books and equipment on loan are returned, and that keys and credit cards are turned in. (Refer to Policy 04:310)
2.14 Working Hours
The normal workweek for non-exempt full-time employees is 40 hours, measured from 12:01 a.m. Saturday through midnight the following Friday. Some departments are 24/7 facilities.